Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Beginning restoration

These are our last times in our Columbia house. That I know of. My friend, Cindy, moved back to the neighborhood when her house didn't sell and her husband found a job here again. My friend, Jennifer, prays the Lord uses me in my new place and then uses Michael to open a branch of his law firm back in Columbia. I pray for lots of things. Those things. And for a new beginning if those are not to be. For restoration, mainly.

We are redoing a house in Rock Hill. Our new place. It was built in 1940. Never been sold before now. Still technically not sold, being that we have a year to rent and decide whether or not to go through with the sale. The grandchildren of the original owners are the heirs. And they don't need it. They love it; but not in a "I want to restore this place" kind of way.

Nope. That's how I love it. I look at that peeling paint and old mildewed curtains and hidden hardwood floors, and I think, "What potential!" I see beauty gone stale in this house. A place once loved, but unable to be maintained. And, so, friends and family have come from afar to help me get started in restoring this home. We peeled the layers away. Cindy came back and removed curtain rods. I have cleaned dust and grime from corners. It is once again proud. Worn, outdated, but not sagging in dirt. Stripped and clean. Ready for restoration.

We left a little bit of carpet; didn't quite finish taking down wallpaper. Those remaining fragments will hold on for awhile. Til we have time to deal with them. Until we have time to expose what's underneath. Probably cracked plaster. In need of repair.

Aren't we all just a bit like my new house? Built a long time ago, by a craftsman that took great pride in what His eyes could see His hands had made. Slowly neglected by the owner because of lots of reasons, most valid. Age taking it's toll, not on the foundation, but on the layers and dirt and build up of stuff over the years. Clutter added to our days. Soul searching required to find the beauty, to peel away some layers, to clean us up ready for the restoration.

It is hard work that demolition process. Sweaty, dirty, muscle tiring work. Physical.

It's going to take tender patience to put back what once stood proud back at the beginning. Back at the birth. Of this house.

No comments:

Post a Comment