Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Lenten Journal Day 36

Again, with the dinner table conversation....

Kelly: Is everyone famous?

Me: No.

Kelly: But everyone is special.


and then,

Kelly: When I go to bed, God goes to bed. And when I walk around, God walks around. Because we are God's hands and God's feet. I think Benji and me are God's hands because we are the same size.

He makes lots of sense; I mean, my hands are the same size, so God's should be too...

I work at a preschool surrounded by children, and then I come home to children of my own. Lots of time I can remember they are God's gift to us, and us to them, but it is hard to keep that in mind 24 hours a day without ceasing. There are times that the kiddos start to wear on me. Like the twins that are new and don't speak English and scream until their mother comes back because they feel abandoned. This would be a good time to be God's hands - and feet - and arms - and bosom - and smell - and etc. It would really help in a situation like that. Or, for instance, when the other set of twins has taken off their shoes for the ten millionth time or when I find another precious little one eating out of the trash can or when one poops an adult poop in their brand new Thomas the Train underpants. I could really use the power to be God's patience and wisdom and big picture perspective right about then. I could use that sweetness when I call one child's name four times and get an eye roll in response, or when another flat out lies to my face. God's skill and abilities would be especially helpful in that particular scenario. Yep.

But...it takes remembering the Spirit inside of me, looking at the world all day through God filtered eyes. Remembering that when I move, He moves. When I sleep or eat or walk or breath, so does the Spirit. Because if I can remember that one thing, how to handle everything else comes naturally.

I probably will never be famous. But to a few I am special. To God, I am His own. And to those I meet, I can be God's hands and feet and voice and heart.

If only I remember.

Lucky for me, I have Kelly to remind me....


I Corinthians 12: 12

The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment