Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Lenten Journal Day 13

Have you ever heard the phrase, "You should count your blessings!"?

I think it's funny that the phrase is often used by mommas as a rebuke to their children when those kiddos are misbehaving, acting all sour, and being terribly ungrateful.

What the mommas really want to yell is, "Gosh *&%#@**it!!! You ungrateful heathens!! You better count your obviously undeserved blessings because they are getting ready to disappear if you don't say THANK YOU right this minute!! And stop whining!!!! .......And stop crying too!"

It's the whining that shuts down the compassionate side of my brain faster than anything. Frankly, sometimes I just start laughing when they whine. Which makes the whole darn situation worse. Makes me wonder, when I start whining about my pitiful, just awful, no good circumstances, does God laugh at my ingratitude? Does he look at me, and go, "Whew buddy! You've got no idea..."?

Lately lots of my friends have started journals and blogs that are based on the book, One Thousand Gifts. I love reading all their lists of God given gifts, and when the above phrase popped into my head, I thought it would be fun to do a list for today. Plus, instead of waiting until I am acting ungracious, starting my day off already counting blessings puts me in a much better frame of mind. So, here goes...

1. I've got a great family.
2. My husband rocks.
3. I get coffee brought to me by said husband almost every morning.
4. My bed is super comfortable. We didn't always have this one.
5. My current dwelling is a pleasant place to be.
6. The weather - it's beautiful!
7. Birds are literally outside the window singing. How cool is that!
8. I have a job.
9. I have a job that makes me still get to be a full time momma.
10. I like, no, love the people I get to work with.
11. I get to pretend to have girls twelve hours a week and then send them home.
12. My child just said thank you to me for making him a snack every day after school WITHOUT being prompted!
13. My other child is learning to do the bathroom paperwork all on his own.
14. Yummy wholesome food is in my refrigerator.
15. I ran into three fabulous women I know at the grocery store.
16. I get to go to bible study tonight.
17. I have books waiting to be read.
18. I heard my Mom and Dad's voice on the telephone today.
19. It's a Wednesday.
20. St. Joseph is buried in my yard.


And I could count on and on and on. But mainly, I must say...


21. I have a Creator - a Father, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit to thank for all the above.


Praise God from whom all blessings flow; praise him, all creatures here below; praise him above, ye heavenly host: praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment