Monday, March 14, 2011

Lenten Journal Day 5

Perseverance.

Last fall, my son, Key, started playing club soccer. For their first eleven - yes, eleven - games together as a team, they lost. So you can understand my joy in watching his team come from that start last fall to this past weekend where they just won their first tournament. These boys worked so hard, and kept playing, and kept playing, and steadily improved. And this weekend, they won, and then won again, and finished by winning the whole darn thing. Key wore his medal to school today. I keep getting teary eyed I'm so happy for him. You know what he said? "I love soccer! I'm never gonna quit playing! Never, ever!"

I could go on and on telling you sweet stories from this weekend. I pray for the goalie that lost in sudden death and at the same time rejoice for the team that won because they are our friends. I am so impressed beyond words by the kids with casts on their legs that sat in uniform with their teams, and I especially loved seeing one of our SCUFC players that had the flu come to sit to watch the final match and support his buddies, his teammates.

These boys exemplify perseverance. And as one of the mommas losing her voice on the sidelines, it's just beautiful. I learn from their example every weekend. Seriously.

He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

Isaiah 40:30-31

No comments:

Post a Comment